Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year in Review

Of course it sounds cliche, but I truly can't believe that 2012 is really over!  This time last year, I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new year.  2011 wasn't that spectacular, but I knew that 2012 was going to be great.  It did not disappoint!

Here's a look at some of the highlights for the G family this past year:


We had a snowstorm + power outage that left us snowed in and (chilly!).  We found out that our girl had a 2-vessel cord, which was kind of a big deal, and started having a LOT of appointments at Maternal Fetal Medicine.  Knowing that we were having a girl, I got right to work making and buying cute stuff for her.


I entered the third trimester of my pregnancy.  I had to take the dreaded glucose test, and we got to take a peek at Ruby in 3D.  We found out about Ruby's potential IUGR, and I went on a crazy high-protein diet.  Also in my diet were raspberry Sprites from the Coke Freestyle machines.  Our "big" baby stuff came that month, too.  Crib, car seat, and monitor arrived.  I also parted with a whole bunch of money getting new brakes and tires for my car to make it super safe for our new girl!


In March, we found out that Ruby did, in fact, have IUGR.  Which meant I had a LOT of doctor's appointments.  It also meant that there was a good chance she'd be better out than in at some point, and our doctor set a goal that he hoped we'd make it to 37 weeks before she had to come out.  Crazy!!!  I worked on making some stuff for the nursery, and expanding baby girl's wardrobe.  We also took a whole bunch of baby care classes, and were pretty sure we had figured out what we were going to name our girl.


In April, the clock was ticking to babytime.  Our doc had warned us that there was a good chance Ruby would be born that month, so we tried to finish getting her room together.  I had bi-weekly non-stress tests, growth ultrasounds or biophysical profiles every week, plus regular midwife appointments.  We also took our Hypnobirthing class that month, so I was at the hospital A LOT.  An uncovered dump truck broke my windshield while I was driving on the freeway, but thanks to some super sleuthing on my part, I got the construction company to replace my windshield (at their cost) just days later.  I got tired of working, but hung in there, and my coworkers threw me a sweet shower.  Ruby had a major growth spurt right in the home stretch, so our MFM doc decided she could come on her own (yay!).  Mr. G turned 36.  I turned 30.  I spent that day helping our school host a conference, and secretly hoping that being on my feet all day would cause me to go into labor and share my birthday with my girl.  It didn't happen.


Less than a week after I turned 30, our sweet Ruby Josephine made her debut into our lives (after not believing my water had broken, then not going into labor, then having a superfast 5 hour one!).  At just three days old, she was back in the hospital with a severe case of jaundice, but receiving awesome care.  We spent the rest of the month at the pediatrician getting bili checks.  I celebrated my first Mother's Day, learned that Soothie pads are awesome, cloth diapers are a piece of cake, and that sleep is overrated.  We had an unusually warm, dry month, so we got to start taking walks in the neighborhood early.


In June, Mr. G got to celebrate his first Father's Day, and Ruby celebrated by giving me some smiles I could take pictures of for him.  We got better at getting out of the house, attending a birthday party, visiting my coworkers and the kids at school, and going to see our nurses that took care of us at MFM.  We also started going to the parent-baby class at the hospital, which was truly a sanity-saver!  


In July, Mr. G & I celebrated our 2nd anniversary (bolting down a dinner out as fast as possible before Ruby "turned into a pumpkin").  We made friends at baby class, and started meeting the mamas and babies out for picnics.  We took a stroller walk with Braidy almost every day.  Rubes was sleeping well in her crib, but didn't like naps.  Or tummy time for that matter.  We ended the month by being obsessed with the Olympics, and with me making the monumental decision to not return to work in the fall.


August was a busy month with more baby class, lots of playdates, and Kindermusik class.  Ruby got to go to the movie theater for the first time at the mommy-matinee, and we picnicked in the park.  Her night sleep continued to be awesome, so we quit swaddling!  We survived a long weekend with Daddy away, and got to be guest speakers on the parent panel at the breastfeeding class the hospital offers.


More nice weather, more walks, more picnics.  We set up the high chair, and Ruby was a big fan of sitting in the kitchen with us!  We were loving all the sleep we were getting (at night), putting her down and seeing her 12 hours later when she woke.  Mr. G played softball, so there were lots of days and nights that were all mommy & Ruby.  We kicked off football season with spirited outfits for the babe, started going to swimming class, and picked blueberries under the shadow of Mt. Si.


October was the month that sleep died.  Seriously, one night Ruby just up and stopped sleeping and she's never slept through the night since.  Separation anxiety was in full force and my girl had eyes only for her mama.  Which meant that I was tired!  We took our last picnic of the season all bundled up, and our daily stroller walks came to an end.  We searched out all things pumpkin, started loving the jumperoo and Bumbo, and indoor playdates with baby buddies.  I forced myself to find time to make Ruby her first Halloween costume, and she ended the month as the cutest little ghoul you've ever seen.


In November Ruby celebrated her half-birthday (which we had a hard time believing that time could move so fast!).  She also started eating food!  We were into politics, baking (we spent a lot of time in the kitchen), and hanging out with family.  Ruby also started to sit up all on her own, which made playtime a lot more fun!


December brought a whirlwind of holiday crafts, and a baby girl who was a lot more social and interested in playing.  It was all toys all the time around here.  We spent lots of time strolling through shopping malls (sometimes as indoor playdates), and I enjoyed "decorating the baby" with antlers, bows, and other holiday cuteness.  Ruby spent her time babbling, eating my face, blowing spit bubbles, and trying to mooch off of anything we were eating (especially cookies).  I was convinced the whole month that she'd get her two front (bottom) teeth, but they never came!  Finally, we celebrated our first Christmas as a family of three.

Looking back, the year seems so short, yet so long when I can see how much Ruby has grown!  I'm so thankful that 2012 brought our girl into our lives, and I can't wait to see what 2013 brings.  

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment